After months of hiatus searching only for engineering experts exclusively, and with Warcraft III: Reforged now Live — The Classic Games section of Blizzard Entertainment’s Careers Page has come back to life.
Blizzard is searching for these positions to be filled:
- Associate Games Producer, Classic Games
- Games Producer, Classic Games
- Senior Games Producer, Classic Games
- Senior Producer, Classic Games – Live Ops
My Linkedin tracker says these four job openings were posted in the Classic Games section about 6-7 hours ago.
The language within each of the job openings doesn’t particularly reveal what game they are going to work on. But let’s be frank: StarCraft: Remastered, and Warcraft III: Reforged have shipped.
There are only 2 games that we know now are part of the Classic Games team, apart from those two:
- Diablo II
- Diablo III
In our BlizzCon 2017 interview, Brian Sousa mentioned they wanted to bring StarCraft, Warcraft III and Diablo II to the modern Battle.net platform.
I don’t know exactly how Diablo II will be handled, considering what one of the original developers said that they accidentally lost some of the source code and assets (fatally corrupted) — read more about that article.
The Classic Games team would have to rebuild Diablo II from the ground up — which is far far more work than they could ever do for StarCraft: Remastered and Warcraft III: Reforged.
Only one of these four job openings says something in particular that points toward Diablo III.
Senior Producer, Classic Games – Live Ops
- Create and maintain the patch roadmap for live services in conjunction with game producers and external partners.
- Participate in first line of defense on-call support to triage and coordinate efforts of internal and external parties to help drive live issues to resolution.
- Manage and track development, QA, PTR, and live environments.
- Manage the daily tracking of all reliability engineering tasks so that schedules are maintained and adjusted accordingly.
- Serve as the key point of contact for all regional operational issues.
- Partner with leadership to help set project goals, objectives, milestones, and deliverables are achieved.
- Mentor and grow producers.
As far as I know, there is no Warcraft III: Reforged or StarCraft: Remastered PTR at the moment. I might be wrong, but I see no dropdown option in my Blizzard Launcher.
That leaves Diablo III as a possible reason for this specific job opening.
Just think about this for a whole minute: Why is Blizzard looking for 4 Games producers for the Classic Games team? What could they be possibly wanting to develop for Diablo III? Just new Seasons doesn’t seem to be the sole purpose.
Do we have to completely rule out a Diablo II remaster? Or is it possible to rebuild the entire lost assets from the ground up? What are your thoughts either way?
Another, less likely possibility: Can StarCraft: Remastered or Warcraft III: Reforged get new expansions, or new content?
Source: Blizzard Careers page