The past several months have added bits of breadcrumbs pointing at Diablo II: Remastered, but this job opening posted on December 21, 2017 — sounds pretty crystal clear on what the intentions are.
DIABLO II: REMASTERED
This job opening is posted in the “CLASSIC GAMES” category, by the same team that developed the StarCraft: Remastered.
It is important to mention that we interviewed Brian Sousa at BlizzCon 2017, and he mentioned two Classic Games his team wishes to make a Remastered of: Warcraft III and Diablo II. Follow the link to jump to that quote in the video.
FUTURE OF DIABLO FRANCHISE
There is a strong and straightforward allusion that this Senior Software Engineer will also be working with the Diablo III team to help build the future of the Diablo franchise:
- Investigate opportunities for the future of the Diablo franchise.
Without being too specific, that can only be interpreted in one of four ways:
1. Diablo III: (Class) Pack
2. Diablo III: (Expansion 2)
3. Diablo IV; or…
4. Diablo MMO
There is, however, a clue in one of the quotes by Tyrael (in Act V) that hasn’t been resolved yet. It is unknown when, or how Blizzard plans to address that, but Tyrael does mention that he sent Horadrim members to the Skovos Isles — which is the Amazon lands: “I haven’t heard back from the Horadrim we sent to the Skovos Isles.” Could that hint at an expansion that adds Skovos? A Diablo III: Amazon Pack, or both?
The job opening for Senior Software Engineer also has the requirement to have experience in various platforms, which means experience in XBox 360/One and PlayStation 4.
You can see the job opening here.
Senior Software Engineer
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an enthusiastic senior software engineer to be a key contributor and leader for the Diablo franchise. The ideal candidate finds simple solutions for complex problems, loves being part of small but agile teams, and wants to push games to new heights.
We’re an intensely collaborative group, passionate about our projects, and looking to create compelling features to keep players engaged for years to come.
- Work closely with external teams to maintain Blizzard quality on current platforms
- Collaborate with designers, artists, and fellow programmers to develop and refine key systems
- Tackle a wide variety of unique challenges that come along with a live product
- Identify and resolve pipeline issues
- Investigate opportunities for the future of the Diablo franchise
- Passion for the Diablo franchise
- A minimum of 5 years game development experience
- Fluent in C++
- Able to work in a collaborative team environment
- Self-motivation and willingness to participate in many areas of game development
- Knowledge of rendering architecture and associated APIs (shaders, animation, skinning, lighting, and special effects)
- Strong math skills (linear algebra, trigonometry, etc.)
- Experience developing on multiple platforms
- Computer science, EE, mathematics, physics, or related degree
- Familiarity with other Blizzard products