BlizzCon 2021 Diablo II: Resurrected Announced
IRVINE, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Feb. 19, 2021– Diablo® II, one of the most acclaimed titles in PC gaming history, returns . . . and Hell has never looked better. Blizzard Entertainment today revealed Diablo II: Resurrected™, the definitive remastering of Diablo II and its Lord of Destruction® expansion—two hallmark entries in the company’s genre-defining action role-playing series.
Diablo II was hailed by Time magazine as “arguably the best role-playing game of all time, the best dungeon-crawler of all time and the best PC game of all time.”* Diablo II: Resurrected welcomes back veteran heroes and invites a new generation of players to experience the game’s sinfully dark storyline, thrilling loot chase, and visceral hack-and-slash gameplay with modernized visuals that take advantage of the latest gaming hardware.
Diablo II: Resurrected takes the 2D sprite-based classic and brings it into the present with full 3D physically-based rendering, dynamic lighting, revamped animations and spell effects—all stunningly delivered in up to 4K resolution.† All 27 minutes of the game’s classic cinematics, chronicling the journey of the mysterious Dark Wanderer, are being remade—shot for shot—from the ground up. The nightmarish sounds of Sanctuary and its memorable soundtrack have also been reinvigorated to support Dolby 7.1 surround sound. By leveling up the game’s audio and visual capabilities, Diablo II: Resurrected will showcase the depth of gameplay and hallmark designs that continue to entertain players around the world to this day.
“Diablo II was a pivotal game for Blizzard and millions of players around the world. With Diablo II: Resurrected, we’re excited to bring this classic back to PC and also to consoles—with cross-progression on supported platforms—so that players can relive their memories, or experience Diablo II’s timeless gameplay for the first time, on their platform of choice,” said J. Allen Brack, president of Blizzard Entertainment. “With the new high-resolution audio and video in Diablo II: Resurrected, the game is as fun and engrossing today as it was twenty years ago.”
For those who would prefer a more nostalgic experience, players will be able to freely switch back-and-forth between the modern graphics and the original experience at any time with the press of a button. While Diablo II: Resurrected may look like an all-new game, Diablo II’s signature gameplay and systems are completely intact, quirks and all, adding a few highly requested quality of life improvements, such as a shared stash.
Diablo II: Resurrected features seven highly customizable character classes for players to choose from—the Amazon, Barbarian, Necromancer, Paladin, and Sorceress from the core game, as well as the Assassin and Druid from the included Lord of Destruction expansion. Players will be able to make each character their own by selecting skills and talent builds, crafting and socketing items, collecting complete gear sets, acquiring unique arms and armor, assembling Rune Word combinations, and much more.
Diablo II: Resurrected is an all-inclusive package containing a lifetime of adventures. It will take players to the deadly world of Sanctuary, where they will face Diablo, the Lord of Terror, and the forces of Hell through all four thrilling Acts of the original Diablo II campaign. They’ll meet beloved mentor and scholar Deckard Cain, fight alongside the Archangel Tyrael, and encounter other pantheonic characters who have become an indelible part of gaming history. This edition also includes all of the content from the Lord of Destruction expansion, with the journey continuing into Act V, where players will brave the dangers of Mount Arreat before facing Baal, the eponymous Lord of Destruction.
Developed by Blizzard Entertainment and in-house studio Vicarious Visions, Diablo II: Resurrected will be coming later this year to Windows® PC, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, and Nintendo Switch™. With cross-progression** between supported platforms, players will be able to play as their characters—and keep all their stuff—no matter what supporting platform they’re playing on.
Brave souls can seek out more information, as well as opt in for a chance to participate in an upcoming PC technical alpha test, at www.diablo2.com. Further details, including updates regarding pricing and availability, can also be found by visiting the official site.
DIABLO® II: RESURRECTED™ is the definitive remastering of Diablo II and its Lord of Destruction® expansion—two hallmark entries in Blizzard Entertainment’s genre-defining action role-playingseries. Veteran players, as well as those who missed out when the original game was first released twenty years ago, can now experience Diablo II’s timeless gameplay with modern visuals and audio that take advantage of today’s gaming hardware.
- This is an all-encompassing Diablo II experience featuring remastered versions of Diablo II, the Lord of Destruction expansion, and countless hours of demon-slaying adventure.
- Explore the Sanctuary of players’ nightmares, now in stunning 4K resolution.*
- Original 2D sprite-based models are reborn with full 3D physically-based rendering. Upgraded visuals also include new animations, dynamic lighting, new textures, and updated visual effects.
- Remastered graphics can be toggled back-and-forth for a nostalgic “original” experience with the press of a button.
- All 27 minutes of cinematics have been remade, shot-for-shot, from the ground up.
- Audio remastered in Dolby Surround 7.1 sound.
- Choose your own adventure(r) — Seven of Sanctuary’s greatest champions await at the iconic campfire screen—the Amazon, Assassin, Barbarian, Druid, Necromancer, Paladin, and Sorceress. Each is highly customizable with countless build and gear options for players to explore.
- Rekindle your relationships with old friends like Deckard Cain and Tyrael, the Archangel of Justice.
- Genre-defining Diablo gameplay featuring robust RPG character progression, incredibly deep itemization, and visceral hack-and-slash combat.
- Expanding to a new generation — The dark legacy comes to Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation ®5, PlayStation® 4, and Nintendo Switch™ for the first time, with cross-progression support across Windows® PC and participating platforms.
- Diablo II: Resurrected can be played as a solo experience, or grab some friends on your preferred platform and enjoy up to 8-player co-op. Then blow off some steam and claim a few ears by engaging in thrilling PvP duels outside of town.
- Ascend the Forgotten Tower, blaze a trail through the jungles of Kurast, and storm the gates of Hell to defeat Diablo himself. Then, scale the peak of Mount Arreat to face Baal, the Lord of Destruction, in Worldstone Keep.
- Available for pre-purchase on Windows PC — The Diablo Prime Evil Collection includes Diablo II: Resurrected, Diablo® III, the Reaper of Souls™ expansion, the Rise of the Necromancer pack, and exclusive cosmetic items.
- PC Technical Alpha coming soon — sign ups now open at Diablo2.com.
*4K resolution and 7.1 Dolby Surround require platforms and equipment that support those features.
THE EARLY GOLDEN AGE OF DIABLO IS REBORN
The heroes return . . . Diablo II: Resurrected brings a diverse cast of characters into the modern gaming era, now in full 3D, with a wealth of gameplay and build options for players to explore. The Amazon, Barbarian, Necromancer, Paladin, and Sorceress are joined by the Assassin and Druid from the Lord of Destruction expansion.
. . . to face legendary evils. Take on Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal—the mightiest foes Hell could muster. Defeat them if you can before facing even greater challenges in the Nightmare and Hell difficulty modes.
With great itemization comes great replayability. Players are rewarded for waging war against the forces of the Burning Hells. Powerful gear upgrades include unique weapons and armor, set items, runes and rune words, charms, and more.