Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a 3D Artist to join an unannounced game team. This is not for the Overwatch game nor for StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void.
Something interesting is the job opening tweeted had a photo of the sign on the door with the words “There is no cow level”.
Now there are a few possibilities here. Either:
1. The sign is just an in-house joke, and the unannounced game has nothing to do with the Diablo universe. Or…
2. The unannounced game is related to the Diablo universe, and the sign is hinting at this. (“There is No Cow Level” is what the Cow King says when you open the gate to Wymsyshire in reference to Diablo II’s Cow Level.)
Regardless of whatever the sign means or whether it has no meaning at all, there are a few possible scenarios for this unannounced game to be.
What this unannounced game is NOT:
1. It is NOT StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void. It was announced at BlizzCon 2014 and we have known the title name since 2008.
2. It is NOT a World of Warcraft expansion. Warlords of Draenor just launched.
3. It is NOT Overwatch. There is a list of job openings under the title OVERWATCH.
4. It is NOT the Next-Gen MMO Titan (that was officially cancelled a few months ago)
What this unannounced game might potentially be:
1. A Diablo III expansion
2. A Diablo-related game in a different Genre such as an MMO or card game?
3. New IP (not related to Warcraft, StarCraft, or Diablo) in a genre Blizzard is familiar with or not familiar with. (Blizzard has demonstrated it is not the RTS exclusive developer. So far Blizzard has adventured into the MMORPG, CCG, a Brawler multiplayer game, and now a team-based shooter/FPS).
4. StarCraft: Ghost was never officially cancelled. It was merely postponed for another time. So it might actually show up someday unless Blizzard finally cancels it. Only thing is the storyline of the Nihilistic/Swingin’ Ape Studio/then Blizzard era is outdated. It might have to be either a new story or it might even have no single-player component like Overwatch which lacks one — which is a first for Blizzard.
For now, we won’t know what this unannounced game is all about until Blizzard makes an official reveal announcement either at GamesCom, PAX East or BlizzCon. Until then we can only hope and speculate.
Interested in this job position? Head over to the application form.
3D Artist – Unannounced Games/Projects
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an exceptionally skilled 3D artist to work on Blizzard Entertainment’s next epic game! The ideal candidate has extensive experience designing, modeling, and texturing a diverse visual range of in game, real time environments, props, and characters. This person also has a solid grasp of form, color, and lighting for both 2D and 3D art assets to help bring our amazing universe to life. The 3d artist must also have a skill in another art task as well (illustration, modeling, texturing, animation, or concept drawing).
- A minimum of 3 years’ of experience in game development modeling, and texturing 3D assets using 3DS Max and Photoshop (or equivalent 3D and 2D programs)
- An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps of different material types
- Understanding of the Warcraft visual style, and a passion to push it to the next level
- Self-motivation, good communications skills, and a great team-player attitude
- A passion for video games
- Have shipped AAA PC, or console titles, as a 3D environment or character artist
- Experience with Mudbox, ZBrush, (or equivalent modeling programs)
- Experience with the creation of next-gen shaders, and materials
- Strong foundation in the traditional arts including, but not limited to, figure drawing, and environmental and / or architectural illustration
- Able to create stylized concept art and illustration
- Portfolio, and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog or online album)