In a very curious move, Blizzard Entertainment is searching for a Senior Concept Artist to join the Diablo Immortal team from home (for now).
On February 22, 2019 Netease revealed they had completed their development of Diablo Immortal, handing it over back to Blizzard Entertainment for polishing and completion.
A bit over a year now since then, all we know is that Diablo Immortal beta testing is slated to start mid-2020 — as revealed during the Activision Blizzard Q4 2019 financial report. A good guess would be: any time between the May-August range. If it was to be taken literally, then “June” is the mid-2020 month.
You may apply for this job opening here.
Senior Concept Artist – Diablo Immortal
Join us as we write a new chapter in the Diablo universe! Diablo Immortal, a mobile massively multiplayer action-RPG set in the world of Sanctuary, allows players to slay demons anywhere, at any time, in the palm of their hands!
Are you a skilled and versatile concept artist? Come work with us, and together we will build something exceptional. Our team of talented developers is growing. Our backgrounds are diverse, but we share a real passion for what we do. If you’re looking for a tight-knit crew that celebrates self-expression and embraces collaboration, we will be a phenomenal fit for you.
As a concept artist, you will work closely with the Art Lead to help us guide the art vision and development for Diablo Immortal. Our ideal candidate has extensive experience creating digital artwork ranging from characters and environments, to icons and UI. You have a solid grasp of foundational art skills that include, color theory, human and creature anatomy, lighting, design theory, as well as the Diablo art style. Your goal is to champion a consistent visual style for the game and combine inspiring art with great gameplay.
Diablo Immortal is a full-fledged action RPG designed from the ground up for mobile. You will join a veteran team of developers with a shared vision to radically raise the bar of what a mobile game can be. We value team-players who provide constructive input and are always open to feedback from others in return.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Create character, environment, armor, weapon, icon, UI, spell, or any other concepts that could be needed during game development
- Effectively coach external artists to capture the Diablo Immortal art style and story via paint overs and concise feedback
- Play weekly builds and give feedback related to anything and everything that feels out of place for Blizzard’s quality level standards.
- Experience creating digital artwork in a professional environment under an art director
- Strong foundational skills in anatomy, color theory, composition, lighting, etc
- Expert understanding of Photoshop or an equivalent painting program
- Ability to meet strict deadlines while delivering top notch concepts and artistic feedback
- Deep understanding of and ability to execute in Diablo’s gothic visual style, particularly Diablo 3.
- Ability to understand and incorporate requests and revisions effectively and efficiently
- Ability to deliver art feedback in drawn/painted, verbal, and written formats
- Desire to work closely with game design to make sure the game’s art improves the player experience
- Passion for the Diablo art style and games
- Ability to work full-time in Irvine, Ca
- JIRA Fluency
- Illustration experience
- Mandarin language fluency
- Passion for and extensive experience playing action RPGs, Blizzard games, and mobile games
- Mobile game development experience
- Cover Letter (optional)
- Portfolio demonstrating relevant artistic skills
- Only digital artwork submissions such as website, blog or online album will be accepted
- An art test may be required
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunities for professional growth. Our people are everything, our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences ever. Join us!