Blizzard Entertainment has announced Diablo IV at BlizzCon 2019 and it is harkening back to the dark and gritty of the original two games. The game will be available on PC and Consoles. It includes the Barbarian, Sorceress and Druid classes.
Newest incarnation of Blizzard Entertainment’s genre-defining action–role-playing franchise returns with dark, visceral gameplay, robust customization, deep loot, and infinite adventures
IRVINE, Calif.—November 1, 2019—An ancient evil threatens to engulf Sanctuary in darkness, and new heroes have been called upon to face challenges the world has never seen before. Today, Blizzard Entertainment announced Diablo IV, the highly anticipated next entry in its genre-defining action–role-playing series. The newest installment of Diablo was announced during BlizzCon® 2019, where attendees were eager to be the first in the world to play a public demo of the game. Diablo IV draws players into a grim story line and gives them the freedom to explore and forge their own path across the most expansive and intense vision of the world of Sanctuary—a bleak and shattered hellscape bereft of hope and beset by demons.
True to the franchise’s roots, Diablo IV will deliver visceral combat, gruesome and varied monsters, an epic hunt for legendary loot, and endless playability and progression. Players will find a lifetime’s worth of adventure scattered across a land rooted in unique ecologies and inhabited by dangerous new foes. They’ll delve into randomized dungeons packed with unpredictable adversaries and unimaginable treasures. While continuing to fully support solo and coordinated party play, Diablo IV will also provide opportunities for groups of players to encounter each other in the same shared world—whether to tackle bigger challenges . . . or possibly even slaughter one another in player-vs.-player combat.
“Sanctuary has been a home to Diablo players for more than 20 years, and it’s with our own deep passion for the series and a deep appreciation of the community that we announce Diablo IV today,” said J. Allen Brack, president of Blizzard Entertainment. “We’re excited to be returning to the dark, quintessential Diablo gameplay that players love while expanding the world and story in new ways, and we can’t wait for more people to be able to experience it.”
In Diablo IV, players will attempt to bring hope back to the world by vanquishing evil in all its vile incarnations—from cannibalistic demon-worshipping cultists to the all-new drowned undead that emerge from the coastlines to drag their victims to a watery grave. For the first time in the series, Sanctuary will be a contiguous, seamless landmass comprising diverse regions ranging from the burning desert of Kejhistan, to the verdant werewolf-infested forests of Scosglen, to the harsh and rugged wilderness of the Dry Steppes.
At BlizzCon, Blizzard revealed the first three of Diablo IV’s character classes, all playable at the show:
- The Barbarian, known for their unparalleled strength and brutal melee combat, utilizes a new and more powerful system in battle, Arsenal, which arms them with the ability to carry and rapidly switch between four different weapons at a time by assigning them to individual attacks.
- The Sorceress hearkens back to their Diablo II roots and shapes the elements to obliterate their foes by impaling them upon jagged spikes of ice, electrocuting them with bolts of lightning, or raining flaming meteors from the sky.
- The Druid is a savage shapeshifter whose updated playstyle empowers them to fluidly transform between werewolf, werebear, and human form to unleash the raw power of nature’s fury on the forces of the Burning Hells.
These three iconic characters honor the legacy of the franchise and exemplify how Diablo IV builds upon the series’ history by preserving the core Diablo fantasy while allowing players to explore untapped gameplay possibilities with fresh inspiration. Players will be able to experiment and discover countless character builds through customizable talent trees and skills, a deep loot system filled with legendary and set items to collect, runes and rune word combinations, and even personalized mounts for traversing the open world.
Diablo IV is being developed using modern technology that pushes the franchise to dark, new depths. This technology is at the heart of everything players will see, hear, and feel—delivering much higher fidelity and a more engrossing experience. It opens up countless possibilities for the Diablo series, from smooth character animations, such as the Druid’s fluid shapeshifting, to the seamless, vast overworld players will travel across in search of the next loot-filled underground dungeon. Ultimately, Diablo IV will ground players in a grittier and deadlier world.
Diablo IV is currently in development and will be coming to PC, PlayStation® 4, and Xbox One. Brave souls can seek out more information at www.diablo.com
DIABLO® IV is the newest incarnation of Blizzard Entertainment’s genre-defining action-role-playing game series. Players will experience a grim new story line while also having the freedom to forge their own path across the most expansive vision yet of the world of Sanctuary—a bleak and shattered hellscape bereft of hope and beset by demons.
- Explore a vast, contiguous world of Sanctuary and seamlessly travel across five distinctive regions filled with dangerous foes.
- Quintessential Diablo gameplay featuring robust RPG character progression, infinitely replayable dungeons, awesome loot, and the series’ hallmark visceral combat.
- An open world inhabited by familiar threats and new—like deadly encounters with massive, multi-phase World Bosses.
- Playable at BlizzCon: Three iconic classes revealed (with two more to come): the Druid, the Barbarian, and the Sorceress.
- All-new technology that will push the Diablo franchise to dark new depths with higher fidelity graphics and the ability to create an expansive open world experience.
- A dark new storyline where heroes will be called upon to face a challenge unlike any the world has seen before.
A RETURN TO DARKNESSLegendary Heroes Return: Three iconic Diablo IV classes are playable at BlizzCon, with two more to come. Each character class retains its core identity, yet also brings players fresh inspiration and fun, revamped play styles:
- Barbarians bring the power of the new Arsenal system in battle, arming them with the ability to carry and rapidly switch between four different weapons at a time by assigning them to individual attacks.
- Sorceresses shape the elements to obliterate their foes, chilling their foes until they freeze and shatter, electrocuting them with bolts of lightning, or raining flaming meteors from the sky.
- Druids are savage shapeshifters who fluidly transform between werewolf, werebear, and human forms to unleash a cataclysm of nature’s fury on the forces of the Burning Hells.
Smarter, Deadlier, and More Diverse Monsters: Face a world inhabited by deadly monster “families” of disparate, yet thematically-linked creatures that work together to present players with interesting strategic challenges.
Deep Character Customization: Players will be able to experiment and discover countless character builds through customizable talent trees and skills, awe-inspiring loot including legendary and set items to collect, runes and rune word combinations, and even personalized mounts for traversing the open world.
Dungeon Crawling: Infinitely replayable dungeons to clear, as well as new Keyed Dungeons that empower players to control their destiny and specify the types of challenging dungeon crawling experiences they want to take on.
A DANGEROUS, DYNAMIC, VAST WORLD TO EXPLORE
A Grim New Chapter: This bleak period in Sanctuary’s history finds humanity in the grip of a chaotic and dark time. Lilith has returned to Sanctuary. Players will need to step foot in this broken realm to learn more.
An Expansive Open World: Encounter other players as you explore five distinctive regions rooted in unique ecologies and filled with dangerous new foes. Face the greatest threat Sanctuary has ever known as you cross the burning desert of Kehjistan; blaze a trail through the werewolf-infested forests of Scosglen; brave the harsh wilderness of the Dry Steppes; scale the uninhabitable Fractured Peaks; and choke back the infestation in the swamplands of Hawezar.
Lilith has returned to Sanctuary, summoned by a dark ritual after eons in exile. Her return ushers in an age of darkness and misery.
Among the Sanctuary locations are: Scosglen, Fractured Peaks, Dry Steppes, Hawezar, and Kehjistan.
Hope you enjoyed this article. Please, support Blizzplanet on Patreon (monthly) or PayPal (once), and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitch for daily Blizzard games news updates.